What’s up my bulking bros. I’ll be quite honest – I have a love/hate relationship with bulking season. I’m a huge proponent of “lean bulking” – but even the few extra lbs. of fat I gain as a result bother me as I love being shredded.
I’ve switched my mindset during this bulking season however – and am looking in terms of long term with my physique. Going through a 4-6 month bulk is going to help your physique come together flawlessly for 2 very important reasons:
- You can only go on a major calorie deficit for so long. After a while your metabolism slows and your workouts become lethargic and you don’t gain lean muscle mass. Increasing your calories will increase your motivation and take your workouts to the next level.
- The muscle you gain during bulking season will increase your resting metabolism, so when you cut down you will have new gains to show off and can get by eating more calories during “cutting season” if you aspire to get more shredded than a julienne salad. (My favorite line from the movie, “Tropic Thunder.”)
So now that we got the mental masturbation covered for bulking season, lets talk about macros baby! I know a lot of you guys are struggling to get in enough calories. Many of you underestimate just how many calories you are burning each and every single day with a fast metabolism.
There are really only three components to building lean muscle mass, and the third one is the one that messes up most guys (ATP/energy).
This is fancy talk that means your body needs enough carbs and healthy fats to build muscle or it will tap into your amino acids (aka protein) for energy and you need that protein for muscle building.
You’re not choking down that boring chicken breast for energy, you are eating it for gains – so make sure you eat enough carbs and healthy fats during bulking season or you will not budge on the scale.
I know a lot of you guys have given us some heat for making these insane high calorie shakes, but the fact is they are the easiest way to get in a calorie surplus, especially if you require 4,000 plus total calories per day and you are very active.
Have you ever tried eating 4,000 total calories of chicken, rice, and potatoes? Its not easy, and its pretty damn boring!
Without further ado, let’s dive into the 2,700 calorie Pina Colada recipe!
Mass Gainer Shake (2,700 Total Calories)
Alright, time for the good stuff. You are going to grab your blender and find the following items from your kitchen, local grocery store, or local Amazon Drone Delivery Boy (I suggest you become friends with an Amazon Drone ASAP lol)
Make sure you watch the video so you can see my aesthetically pleasing face, but just in case you don’t want to look at me I completely understand! Here is the recipe.
- Whole coconut milk (630 Calories)
- 2 cans of pineapple juice + Chunks (280 Calories)
- Half of an avocado (150 calories)
- Pineapple fruit yoghurt (140 calories)
- 2 scoops vanilla protein (240 calories)
- 3 tbsp. chia seeds (200 calories)
- 1 banana (120 calories)
- 4 tbsp. MCT Oil/liquid coconut oil (480 Calories)
- 4 tbsp. all natural peanut butter (480 Calories)
Let’s talk about these ingredients. Actually, before we do that lets first go into some pro tips so you can ensure success with this recipe.
- Don’t use chocolate protein. It just won’t taste right, and it will completely ruin the integrity of the pina colada flavor. Use unflavored or vanilla protein powder with this shake.
- If you don’t have chia seeds, Hemp seeds are even better. If you don’t have these at your local store I suggest you buy them on Amazon for fairly cheap.
- If you want this to be extra creamy, make sure the banana is frozen.
- You can substitute almond butter OR cashew butter for the peanut butter. Cashew butter is probably the best choice for this recipe.
Muscle Building Benefits + How To Drink This Beast
I forgot to mention this in the last mass building smoothie recipe. You don’t have to drink this all in 1 sitting! In fact – I recommend you split this up into 3 different shakes that you consume throughout the day.
The best strategy would be in the morning for a quick breakfast, post workout, and in the evening for a surplus of anabolic fuel.
This Pina Colada shake is the perfect muscle-building recipe because it contains the following:
- High amounts of “clean protein.”
- Slow digesting and fast digesting carbs giving you a mix of ATP/energy.
- Healthy fats, and energy boosting MCT.
- High in omega 3’s, which are crucial for growth and recovery.
- Loaded with vitamins, minerals, and micronutrients (seriously, between the avocado, pineapple, chia seeds and banana you probably don’t even need to take a multi vitamin.)
Want to see more crazy mass building smoothie recipes? Make sure you let us know in the YouTube comments, and I’ll talk to you guys soon!